In most leadership situations, trust, respect and collaboration are simply more effective than pre-emptive domination.
Stephen Denning, The Leader’s Guide to Storytelling
Executive coaching aims to optimise the leader’s performance at the cutting edge of his or her organisation.
- This is one-to-one coaching about the demands and needs of the organisation.
- The executives who are most receptive to coaching are usually in some kind of transition: e.g., promoted to a different role.
- First meeting. Agreement with the coaching client and the organisation on two key variables: 1) what are the key behaviours that will make the most positive change in increased leadership effectiveness? 2) who are the key stakeholders that should determine [in 3, 6 months,1 year] if this change has occurred?
Structure of the Agreement
- Agree on the brief from the organisation.
- Meet with the coachee – challenge, align, and agree on priorities and direction. Coachee to complete an Intake Questionnaire.
- Session 1. Use the Intake Questionnaire as a goal-setting tool, decide on strategies, and set actions.
- Feedback and feed-forward.
- Follow-up for sustainability.